Mark Your Calendars for May 12th!
Please join us for a day of governance topics, roundtable discussions, and action planning.
Why are we calling this year’s event a forum, rather than the usual conference?
Feedback from previous conferences told us of a desire for an event and experience that was purposefully developed to be a meeting place where all could express their ideas, share experiences, and exchange views on issues and trends regarding public library governance and leadership.
This is intended to be that place.
Your Governance Forum.
This day long forum (full agenda here) is directed at public library trustees and library directors. This is your time for making connections across the province and for talking about your libraries, your communities, and governance.
- Saturday, May 12th.
- 8:30am to 4pm
- Westminster Salon, Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel (7551 Westminster Hwy)
- Registration is now open, please register here.
- The fee is $150
The BCLTA is grateful for the support of the Richmond Public Library for hosting the Sunday TOP and Chairing the Board sessions, and for the financial assistance of the Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education, who have generously supported this educational opportunity for BC public library trustees.
The full day details for May 12th, including roundtable topics, guest speakers, and schedule can be found here.
And don’t forget these as well!
- BCLTA award nomination forms (nominate an individual or an entire board!)
- BCLTA Friday evening casual social for trustees and library directors.
- TOP and Chairing the Board sessions at the Richmond Public Library (Brighouse Branch) on Sunday, May 13th.
- The 2018 AGM will take place immediately following the conference.
- Saturday, May 12th
- BCLTA Board of Director nominations and elections.
- Attendance is free and open to all members.
BCLTA Friday Evening Social
There will be a BCLTA social beginning at 6pm. We are still scouting for the perfect location, at or near the conference hotel, so please check back!
This is a casual event for library trustees and library directors to connect with each other without meeting agendas, but with lots of library and community talk!
All trustees and library directors are invited to this social, regardless of attendance to the May 12th Forum. Let’s connect and celebrate the public library leadership of trustees and library directors.
- Friday, May 11th
- Starting at 6pm
- Harold’s Bistro (Conference Hotel)
- Please rsvp at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 9th, so that we have approximate numbers for the reservation.
- BCLTA will host with some appetizers.
- Your drinks and any other menu items will require your individual payment.
Let me (Babs, email@example.com) know if you have any questions.
BCLTA at the BCLA Conference
BCLTA has worked with BCLA and ABCPLD to bring a full day of sessions to the BCLA conference that focus on governance and leadership.
See the BCLA Conference website for registration and further information about BCLA conference sessions.
The BCLTA sessions are:
F06: BCLTA – Part 1: Talking Public Library Governance: The board and staff relationships you really want but are too busy to ask for.
Fri May 11 2018, 9:00am–10:15am, Meeting Room 6
F12: BCLTA – Part 2: Talking Public Library Governance: The board and staff relationships you really want but are too busy to ask for.
Fri May 11 2018, 10:30am–11:45am, Meeting Room 6
This all morning two session workshop will be highly participatory and led by the Library Director and Board Chair team of:
- Jenny Benedict, Director of Library Services and West Vancouver Memorial Library
- David Carter, Chair, West Vancouver Memorial Library Board
- Scott Hargrove, CEO, Fraser Valley Regional Library
- Chuck Stam, Chair, Fraser Valley Regional Library Board
- Wendy Wright, Library Director, Smithers Public Library
- Wally Bergen, Chair, Smithers Public Library Board
F18: BCLTA – Building Effective Relationships with Local Government
Fri May 11 2018, 1:15pm–2:00pm, Meeting Room 6
Alison McNeil, Chair of the Public Administration Department of Capilano University.
F24: BCLTA: Inspiring Libraries, Connecting Communities implementation of the vision and strategic plan for public library service in BC.
This question and answer session is with Mari Martin, Director of the Libraries Branch and Paul Squires, acting Assistant Deputy Minister of the Teacher Regulation, Independent Schools and Public Libraries Division at the Ministry of Education
Fri May 11 2018, 2:15pm–3:00pm, Meeting Room 6
See the BCLA Conference website for registration and and further information about BCLA conference sessions.