The Effective Board Member Handbook
This comprehensive reference manual is key resource for public library trustees that was developed with the assistance of Dr. Ken Haycock and updated in Feb 2012. For a hard copy please contact us: cost is free for BCLTA members, and $8 for non-members. The publication is available for download under the purple MEMBERS tab at the top of the website.
Key contents include:
- Role and Status of the Board: Summarizes the general powers and duties of library boards with reference to the Library Act.
- Public Libraries in BC: Provides some public library history, outlines the distinctions between types of public libraries in BC and describes the main roles of the Public Library Services Branch.
- Board Effectiveness: Describes the key characteristics of effective boards, possible board structure and provides some detail on the role of the Chair. Also includes guidelines for all trustees and a sample code of ethics.
- Effective Meetings: Includes the key elements of an effective meeting, such as a Consent Agenda, and highlights the division of responsibilities between the Board and the Director.
- Key Board Responsibilities: Outlines the main board responsibilities, from planning through to monitoring and evaluation.
Taking The Lead Handbook
This key resource for library board chairs has been adapted from The Effective Board Member and is the accompanying publication for BCLTA’s Taking the Lead training program. Developed with the assistance of Dr. Ken Haycock, the Taking the Lead (formerly Board Chair Handbook) is a comprehensive reference manual for current and prospective library board chairs.
This publication is available for download under the purple MEMBERS tab at the top of the website.
Key contents include:
- Board Effectiveness: Characteristics of effective boards and the chair’s role in ensuring board success.
- Role of the Chair: Primary responsibilities of the board chair as well as characteristics and personal attributes of successful chairs.
- Effective Meetings: Keys to leading purposeful, efficient and effective meetings.
- Responsibilities of the Board and the Director: Elements of constructive partnerships between boards and directors.
- Board Self-Assessment: Tool for chairs to use in gathering feedback from boards.