At this time BCLTA facilitators are not travelling to deliver workshops. We look forward to visiting your communities in the near future. Please see our online workshops here.
BCLTA Governance Workshop: 2020 Pilot Project
This is a one year project that will require membership participation, workshop evaluation, outcomes assessment, and continued external funding for the association to continue the project beyond 2020.
The Pilot Project will:
- Address the barriers of cost and access for attending a BCLTA Governance Workshop: Pilot Project by reducing the current fee of $125 per participant to $50 per participant
- Be scheduled by BCLTA in consultation with libraries and library federations and the host library or federation will be responsible for the venue and catering.
- Take place in centrally located and accessible venues. Exceptions will be made for geographically isolated boards
- In locations where highway conditions are a concern, workshops will be scheduled late April through June and September through October
About the Governance Workshop
There are different types of public libraries in BC and this makes a difference to how trustees come to be on a board and to the funding relationship with local, regional, and the provincial government. Additionally, public library boards may have differing local priorities across the province depending on local demographics, economies, and community needs. As with all BCLTA work, the Governance Workshops will focus on areas of common concern and issues while acknowledging these differences. Facilitators will encourage workshop discussions informed by and rooted in local needs and situations.
The BCLTA Governance Workshop includes topics such as:
• Role and responsibilities of the board
• Role of the chair and the library director
• Strategic planning
• Policy development
• Financial responsibilities
• Board development and succession planning
• Relationship building and advocacy
• Friends groups and volunteers
• Effective meetings
By the end of the day participants will have strengthened their understanding of the role of BC public library boards as a governance team (trustees and the library director) and the ways in which trustees and boards can make a difference to public libraries and the communities they serve.
BCLTA Customized Governance Workshops
BCLTA offers customized Governance Workshops that are based on the BCLTA Governance Workshop, but dive in deeper or differently to suit the needs of your board.
- The workshops are available as is possible to schedule and deliver by BCLTA staff.
- The fee for these workshops is $150 per participant with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 participants.
- The host library will be responsible for the venue and catering and BCLTA is responsible for the development and delivery of the workshop.
- On demand and customized workshops registration is managed via email, not through the website.
BCLTA Governance Workshop: Chairing and Leading
BCLTA members asked BCLTA to develop and deliver a BCLTA chairing the board workshop for board chairs, incoming board chairs, and library directors. Huge thanks to all those who responded to our October Bulletin request for workshop ideas.
- This is a four-hour workshop, developed and delivered by BCLTA staff for chairs, those interested in being chairs, and library directors
- The fee is $75 and a minimum of 10 participants is ideal
- The host library or library federation will provide the venue and refreshment
Request a BCLTA Workshop
- If you are interested in hosting a pilot project workshop or a BCLTA Governance Leadership: Chairing and Leading workshop or in requesting an on-demand or customized workshop, please contact Babs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all workshops the host library or federation will be responsible for the venue and catering. The host library or federation may want to consider sharing the costs of catering with other participating libraries.
- BCLTA will provide the facilitator and the workshop materials.
- BCLTA workshops are a membership service. If you wish to register and are not a trustee or a library director, please contact Babs at email@example.com