BC Public Library Partners
As launched at the 2019 BC Library Conference and the May 11th Summit, the BC Public Library Partners are encouraging trustees, staff, and community supporters to join with us in calling for the provincial government to address the provincial funding gap for BC public libraries.
Currently the provincial government provides approximately $14 million in funding for public libraries. The Partners are calling for an increase of $6 million that would go directly to the operating grants for BC public libraries. This increase would begin to address past funding cuts.
Call to Action!
While the Provincial Budget Consultation has closed, if you still haven’t yet submitted a letter, please consider doing so (letter template).
There is still time to influence provincial government 2020 budget discussions and we want to make sure that BC public libraries are top of mind for the MLAs and ministers. Tell them that investing in BC public libraries is investing in BC communities and a better life for everyone.
We recommend you send your letters to:
- Your local MLA
- Minister Rob Fleming: EDUC.Minister@gov.bc.ca
- Finance Minister Carole James: FIN.Minister@gov.bc.ca
- CC the BC Public Library Partners
The following will help you prepare your message:
BCLTA June Bulletin: “Elevator Speech”, submitted by Jim Jenkinson, Trustee, Invermere and District Public Library
BC Public Libraries Summit Value and Investment Report (BC Public Libraries Summit, May 11, 2019)
Please work with your library board chair and library director when preparing your message and contact your associations for more information, buttons, and updates. We are all working together to support a cohesive shared message that will amplify our concerns and our ask.
2020 Provincial Budget Consultations Report
The Provincial Budget Consultation process closed on June 28th. The BC Public Library Partners appreciate the response to our call out for letters addressing the provincial funding gap for BC public libraries.
On August 7th the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services released their unanimous Report on the Budget Consultations 2020 with 106 recommendations.
Recommendation 99 reads “Provide increased, predictable, transparent, multi-year funding to public libraries and support the delivery of library services in rural and Indigenous communities, including collaborating on reconciliation initiatives.”
Pages 74 to 75 discuss public libraries and reflect that the campaign message was heard. Huge thanks to all those who took the time to share with the committee the stories and the unique value of public libraries in their communities across BC.
Below are the letters we have received from public library boards, mayors, Friends of the Library groups, and community members.
MLAs, Mayors and Local Government
- Creston, Mayor Ron Toyota
- Pemberton, Mayor Mike Richman
- Rossland, Mayor Kathy Moore
- Sooke, Mayor Maja Tait
- Southern Gulf Islands, Capital Regional District, Director David Howe
- Vancouver, Mayor Kennedy Stewart
- West Kelowna, Mayor Milsom
- West Vancouver – Sea to Sky, Jordan Sturdy, MLA
Local Government UBCM Resolution Support
- Alert Bay, Mayor Dennis Buchanan
- Coldstream, Mayor Jim Garlick
- Highlands, Mayor Ken Williams
- Kaslo, Mayor Suzan Hewat
- Kent, Mayor Sylvia Pranger
- Kitimat, Mayor Philip Germuth
- Langley, Mayor Val van den Broek
- Mackenzie, Corporate Officer, Diane Smith
- Port Edward, Mayor Knut Bjorndal
- Salmo, CAO Anne Williams
- Stewart, CAO Ralph Gillis
- Tofino Deputy Corporate Officer, Elyse Goatcher-Bergmann
Public Libraries and Community Members
- Burnaby Public Library
- Castlegar Public Library
- Chetwynd Public Library
- Cranbrook Public Library
- Creston Valley Public Library
- Dawson Creek Public Library
- Fernie Public Library Association
- Fort St. John Public Library Association
- Fraser Valley Regional Library
- Friends of the Fort St. John Public Library
- Friends of the Invermere Public Library
- Friends of the Salmo Public Library Society
- Grand Forks Public Library
- Greater Victoria Public Library
- Greater Victoria Public Library – community member email
- Kaslo and District Public Library
- Kimberley Public Library
- Lillooet Area Library Association
- McBride and District Public Library
- Nelson Public Library Community Member, Susan Thiele
- Nelson Public Library Community Member, Robert Malcolmson
- New Westminster Public Library
- North Vancouver City Library
- North Vancouver District Public Library
- Okanagan Regional Library
- Pender Island Public Library Association
- Port Moody Public Library
- Prince George Public Library
- Richmond Public Library
- Rossland Public Library
- Salmo Valley Public Library
- Salt Spring Island Public Library Association
- Smithers Public Library
- Squamish Public Library
- Surrey Libraries
- Thompson-Nicola Regional Library
- Trail and District Public Library
- Valemount – 18 community support letters!
- Whistler Public Library
- BC Public Library Partners
In the News!
Grand Forks Gazette, Have your say on library funding, by Cari Lynn Gawletz, Director of the Grand Forks & District Public Library. June 16, 2019.
The Daily Courier, More cash sought for libraries, public education, by Steve MacNaull. June 12, 2019.
Share with the BC Public Library Partners your 20 Million in 2020 campaign tweets:
BC Public Library Partners with Minister Fleming, May 10th, 2019
(L-R) Mike Gagel, BCLTA, Sharon Herbert, BC Libraries Cooperative, Chris Middlemas, BC Library Association, Annette DeFaveri, BC Library Association, Elizabeth Tracy, Association of BC Public Library Directors, Minister Fleming, Shirley Lew, BC Library Association, Kevin Millsip, BC Libraries Cooperative, and Scott Hargrove, Association of BC Public Library Directors.