BC Public Library Partners
As launched at the 2019 BC Library Conference and the May 11th Summit, the BC Public Library Partners are encouraging trustees, staff, and community supporters to join with us in calling for the provincial government to address the provincial funding gap for BC public libraries.
While the Provincial Budget Consultation has closed, if you still haven’t yet submitted a letter, please consider doing so (letter template). Funding conversations are ongoing and we want to make sure that BC public libraries are top of mind for the MLAs.
We recommend you send your letters to:
- Your local MLA
- Minister Rob Fleming: EDUC.Minister@gov.bc.ca
- Finance Minister Carole James: FIN.Minister@gov.bc.ca
- CC the BC Public Library Partners
Summer is the perfect time to meet with your MLA and share the message that investing in BC public libraries is investing in BC communities. The following will help you prepare your message:
BCLTA June Bulletin: “Elevator Speech”, submitted by Jim Jenkinson, Trustee, Invermere and District Public Library
BC Public Libraries Summit Value and Investment Report (BC Public Libraries Summit, May 11, 2019)
Please work with your library board chair and library director when preparing your message and contact your associations for more information, buttons, and updates. We are all working together to support a cohesive shared message that will amplify our concerns and our ask.
BC Government 2020 Budget
The Provincial Budget Consultation process closed on June 28th. The BC Public Library Partners appreciate the response to our call out for letters addressing the provincial funding gap for BC public libraries.
Below are the letters we have received from public library boards, mayors, Friends of the Library groups, and community members.
Mayors and Local Government
- Creston, Mayor Ron Toyota
- Pemberton, Mayor Mike Richman
- Rossland, Mayor Kathy Moore
- Sooke, Mayor Maja Tait
- Southern Gulf Islands, Capital Regional District, Director David Howe
- Vancouver, Mayor Kennedy Stewart
- West Kelowna, Mayor Milsom
Local Government UBCM Resolution Support
- Alert Bay, Mayor Dennis Buchanan
- Coldstream, Mayor Jim Garlick
- Highlands, Mayor Ken Williams
- Kaslo, Mayor Suzan Hewat
- Kent, Mayor Sylvia Pranger
- Kitimat, Mayor Philip Germut
- Langley, Mayor Val van den Broek
- Mackenzie, Corporate Officer, Diane Smith
- Port Edward, Mayor Knut Bjorndal
- Salmo, CAO Anne Williams
- Stewart, CAO Ralph Gillis
- Tofino Deputy Corporate Officer, Elyse Goatcher-Bergmann
Public Libraries and Community Members
- Burnaby Public Library
- Castlegar Public Library
- Chetwynd Public Library
- Cranbrook Public Library
- Creston Valley Public Library
- Fort St. John Public Library Association
- Fraser Valley Regional Library
- Friends of the Invermere Public Library
- Grand Forks Public Library
- Greater Victoria Public Library
- Kaslo and District Public Library
- Lillooet Area Library Association
- McBride and District Public Library
- Nelson Public Library Community Member, Susan Thiele
- Nelson Public Library Community Member, Robert Malcolmson
- New Westminster Public Library
- North Vancouver City Library
- North Vancouver District Public Library
- Okanagan Regional Library
- Port Moody Public Library
- Prince George Public Library
- Richmond Public Library
- Rossland Public Library
- Salmo Valley Public Library
- Salt Spring Island Public Library Association
- Squamish Public Library
- Surrey Libraries
- Thompson-Nicola Regional Library
- Trail and District Public Library
- Whistler Public Library
- BC Public Library Partners
In the News!
Grand Forks Gazette, Have your say on library funding, by Cari Lynn Gawletz, Director of the Grand Forks & District Public Library. June 16, 2019.
The Daily Courier, More cash sought for libraries, public education, by Steve MacNaull. June 12, 2019.
Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services
Watch the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services: Annual Budget Consultation for updates on the process and key dates.
Select Standing Committee on Finance and Goverment Services Budget Consultations 2020 – BCLTA Membership Memo, May 31, 2019
Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services Budget Consultations 2020 – BCLTA Membership Memo, May 24, 2019
Share with the BC Public Library Partners your 20 Million in 2020 campaign tweets:
Use the social media cards below and @ your mla, @Rob_Fleming, @your library, and others to include in on the conversation.
BC Public Library Partners with Minister Fleming, May 10th, 2019
(L-R) Mike Gagel, BCLTA, Sharon Herbert, BC Libraries Cooperative, Chris Middlemas, BC Library Association, Annette DeFaveri, BC Library Association, Elizabeth Tracy, Association of BC Public Library Directors, Minister Fleming, Shirley Lew, BC Library Association, Kevin Millsip, BC Libraries Cooperative, and Scott Hargrove, Association of BC Public Library Directors.