All members are invited to participate in the AGM and Summit registration is not required for the AGM.
The AGM will take place at the Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel (15269 104th Avenue, Surrey, BC ) on May 11th, at 8am.
There will be onsite registration for the AGM starting at 7:30am.
Please let us know by April 15th if you are attending the AGM in person and require ASL interpretation.
Please let us know by April 15th if you wish to attend the AGM remotely so that we can make the appropriate arrangements.
We are endeavouring to arrange for an on-site child-friendly space.
2019 AGM Package
The following will be posted as available.
BCLTA 2019 AGM Key Dates
- Begin receiving nominations to the board and posting nominations to the website. Nominations remain open until closed by the Nominations Committee at the AGM.
- Posting nominations to the website will end on May 5th.
- More information on the BCLTA Board below.
- Please use the BCLTA Board Nomination form (link in January 2019)
- Special resolutions are to be received by February 24, 2019. Special resolutions will be sent to the ED at email@example.com, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
- Ordinary resolutions are to be received by March 11, 2019. Ordinary resolutions will be sent to the ED at firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee
- The AGM package, including an agenda and the resolutions, will be posted on the BCLTA website by April 11, 2018.
- The AGM will take place at 8am on May 11, 2019.
- The reviewed financial statements will be provided at the AGM.
Nominate or be Nominated for the BCLTA Board of Directors!
The BCLTA Board is comprised of a President, Treasurer, and 5-9 Directors. The following positions are vacant for the 2019 BCLTA election. The terms of office are 2 years.
- Director – 6 vacancies
The Nominations Committee members will be announced at the end of January.
- We are the professional association for BC public library trustees and boards. We support outstanding governance and represent public library boards to the provincial government, to our partners, and to other relevant organizations.
- We oversee an association with solid membership support, skilled and committed staff, and strong partnerships.
- We are effective. 2018 was a successful year in implementing our 2016-2018 strategic action plan and we are on track for accomplishing even more for our membership in 2019. See our Strategic Framework to 2025 and our Convictions.
- This is a great opportunity to demonstrate your community leadership and library board skills as well as the reputation and impact of your library. Be part of:
- Directing a provincial association established under the Societies Act.
- Supporting outstanding public library governance province-wide.
- Working with the Public Library Partners (ABCPLD, BCLA, and BCLC) and other stakeholders on initiatives such as conferences, ministry meetings, the UBCM trade show, and advocacy campaigns.
- Initiating and contributing to provincial initiatives in coordination with the Libraries Branch which is responsible for the oversight of the Library Act, while BCLTA is uniquely responsible for representing and supporting boards established by the Library Act.
Do you, or a trustee you know, have what BCLTA needs?
You must have a commitment to BCLTA and the membership we serve.
This means you are:
- Eager to connect with board chairs and trustees and develop your understanding of trustee experience and needs throughout the province.
- Knowledgeable and positive about the mandate, work, and potential of BCLTA.
- Prepared to champion and represent BCLTA and our membership to government officials, key stakeholders and funders.
- Friendly and will jump at the chance to network and pro-actively represent BCLTA at receptions, meetings, and other events.
While all board work is important, it would be super helpful for BCLTA if you have expertise in, or excitement about:
- Funding and resource development, including experience with grant writing.
- BCLTA Directors are expected to engage with the membership through the Bulletin, at Federation meetings, conferences and other in-person events and when appropriate via email and phone.
- Expanding and strengthening the BCTLA network, partnerships, and community engagement.
- Drafting letters, position papers, and consultation submissions.
- Knowing how public policy is developed, influenced, and executed.
Please use the 2019 BCLTA Board Nomination Form.
Resolutions received will be posted on April 11th.
Special resolutions are to be received by February 24, 2018. Please send resolutions to the ED at email@example.com, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
Ordinary resolutions are to be received by March 11, 2018. Please send resolutions to the ED at firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
The Resolutions Committee members will be announced at the end of January.
Please include the following when submitting a resolution and be brief.
1. Resolution Title
2. Reason for Resolution.
3. Any known impact, risk, or fiscal and policy implications.
4. Resolution history – if any.
5. The Resolution:
- Proposal – the ‘Whereas’ clauses
- Resolution or Action – the ‘Resolved’ lines
6. Moved by
- Name of public library board
7. Seconded by
- Name of public library board name
Please contact Babs Kelly, the Executive Director with any AGM questions or needs. email@example.com