BC Public Libraries Summit
Future Focused Public Libraries: value, investment, and results
9:00 am Summit Check-in
Come meet BCLTA directors and staff at the desk, pick up your name tag, and start getting to know trustees, library directors and public library supporters from across the province.
Expect activities, door prizes, and coffee!
9:30 am Welcome
- Hosted by BCLTA and Surrey Libraries.
- Indigenous Blessing by Kevin Kelly and his son Michael Gabriel from the Kwantlen First Nation.
- Welcoming words from his Worship, Mayor Doug McCallum of the City of Surrey.
10:00 am Keynote
- Alden E. Habacon, Diversity & Inclusion Strategist
10:30 am Break
10:45 am Public Library Values and Value
- Gordon Yusko, Assistant Director, Community Engagement, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, UBC Library on public libraries and northern and rural development.
- Wendy Wright, Library Director and Wally Bergen, Board Chair, Smithers Public Library on their public library, reconciliation, and community impact.
- Round-table discussions on the role and value of public libraries to local and provincial government goals.
12:30 pm Lunch and Network
1:30 pm BC Public Library Partners
- Who we are, why we work together, and how we are changing the provincial public library discussion.
2:00 pm Working with Community and Government for Lasting Impact
- Jody Johnson, Principal, PEERs Employment and Education Resources Inc., PEERs works on a range of projects and is especially proud to be project managing all elements of NewToBC.
- Jenny Benedict, Director, West Vancouver Memorial Library on newcomer partnerships and services, strategic direction, and community results.
- Round-table discussions on what’s working, what’s tricky, and what needs to be changed for investment in the future focused public library.
3:30 pm Next Steps and Closing Remarks
Please contact the BCLTA Executive Director, Babs Kelly (email@example.com) with any questions or needs regarding the Summit.
BCLTA is grateful to the BC Public Library Partners for their collaboration and support and to the Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education for event funding.
With much thanks to the BC Library Association and the BC Libraries Conference organizers for making this event possible with venue support.