All members are invited to participate in the AGM.
- There are no fees for attending the AGM.
- Forum registration is not required for the AGM.
- If you are not attending the Forum you are required to check-in at the AGM registration desk by Please check-in at the AGM registration desk by 11:30 am
The AGM will take place Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel in Richmond on April 18thth, beginning at 11:45am.
Lunch will be served during the AGM for those who have paid for the full day Forum. If you wish to enjoy the conference catered meal while only attending the AGM, please contact the BCLTA Executive Director at email@example.com to arrange payment by April 4th.
There will be onsite registration for the AGM starting at 11am.
Please let us know the following by March 21st:
- If you are attending the AGM in person and require ASL interpretation.
- If you wish to attend the AGM remotely so that we can make the appropriate arrangements.
2020 AGM Package
- 2020 AGM Agenda (January 15th)
- 2019 AGM Draft Minutes
- BCLTA Annual Report 2019 / 2020 (March)
- Reviewed Financial Statements to January 31, 2020 (unaudited) (March)
- The financial review will be conducted by Quantum Accounting Services Inc.
- The Financial Report will be presented by BCLTA Treasurer Rhonda Sherwood at the AGM
To be regularly updated.
BCLTA 2020 AGM Key Dates
- Begin receiving nominations to the board and posting nominations to the website. Nominations remain open until closed by the Nominations Committee at the AGM.
- Posting nominations to the website will end on April 2nd
- More information on the BCLTA Board below.
- Please use the BCLTA Board of Directors Nomination Form
- Special resolutions are to be received by February 3, 2020. Special resolutions will be sent to the ED at firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
- Ordinary resolutions are to be received by February 18, 2020. Ordinary resolutions will be sent to the ED at email@example.com, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee
- The AGM package, including an agenda and the resolutions, will be posted on the BCLTA website by March 18, 2020.
- The AGM will begin at 11:45 AM on April 18, 2020.
- The reviewed financial statements will be provided at the AGM.
Nominate or be Nominated for the BCLTA Board of Directors!
The BCLTA Board is comprised of a President, Treasurer, and 5-9 Directors. The following positions are vacant for the 2019 BCLTA election. The terms of office are 2 years.
- Director – 4 vacancies
The 2020 Nominations Committee members are Mike Gagel, Dave Clark, and Caty Liu.
The 2020/2021 Board will meet for an important orientation and strategic meeting on April 19that the Richmond Public Library, Brighouse (Main) Branch. The meeting will take place from 11am to 3pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided and all BCLTA Directors are to attend.
- We are the professional association for BC public library trustees and boards. We support outstanding governance and represent public library boards to the provincial government, to our partners, and to other relevant organizations.
- We oversee an association with solid membership support, skilled and committed staff, and strong partnerships.
- We are effective. 2019 was a successful year in implementing our Strategic Framework to 2025 and we are on track for accomplishing even more for our membership in 2020. See our Strategic Framework to 2025 and our Convictions.
- This is a great opportunity to demonstrate your community leadership and governance skills as well as the reputation and impact of your library. Be part of establishing the strategic direction and providing outstanding oversight for a provincial association that:
- Supports excellent public library governance province-wide.
- Works with the Public Library Partners (ABCPLD, BCLA, and BCLC) and other stakeholders on initiatives such as conferences, ministry meetings, the UBCM trade show, and advocacy campaigns.
- Initiates and contributes to provincial initiatives in coordination with the Libraries Branch which is responsible for the oversight of the Library Act, while BCLTA is uniquely responsible for representing and supporting boards established by the Library Act.
Do you, or a trustee you know, have what BCLTA needs?
You must have a commitment to BCLTA and the membership we serve.
This means you are:
- Knowledgeable and positive about the mandate, work, and potential of BCLTA
- Committed to attending and fully participating in BCLTA Board meetings and to supporting the work of BCLTA
- Eager to connect with board chairs and trustees and develop your understanding of trustee experience and needs throughout the province
- Prepared to champion and represent BCLTA and our membership to government officials, key stakeholders and funders
- Friendly and will jump at the chance to network and pro-actively represent BCLTA at receptions, meetings, and other events
While all board work is important, it would be super helpful for BCLTA if you have expertise in, or excitement about:
- Funding and resource development, including experience with grant writing.
- BCLTA Directors are expected to engage with the membership through the Bulletin, at Federation meetings, conferences and other in-person events and when appropriate via email and phone.
- Expanding and strengthening the BCTLA network, partnerships, and community engagement.
- Drafting letters, position papers, and consultation submissions.
- Knowing how public policy is developed, influenced, and executed.
Please use the BCLTA Board of Directors Nomination Form
Resolutions received will be posted on March 18th.
Special resolutions are to be received by February 3, 2020. Please send resolutions to the ED at firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
Ordinary resolutions are to be received by March 18, 2020. Please send resolutions to the ED at email@example.com, Attn: BCLTA Resolutions Committee.
The Resolutions Committee members are Mike Gagel and Elysia Glover.
Please include the following when submitting a resolution and be brief.
- Resolution Title
- Reason for Resolution
- Any known impact, risk, or fiscal and policy implications
- Resolution history – if any
- The Resolution:
- Proposal – the ‘Whereas’ clauses
- Resolution or Action – the ‘Resolved’ lines
- Moved by
- Name of public library board
- Seconded by
- Name of public library board name
Please contact Babs Kelly, the Executive Director with any AGM questions or needs. firstname.lastname@example.org