Join trustees, library directors and invited guests from across the province on April 18, 2020 for the BCLTA AGM and Forum.
The theme for the Forum is Governance and Intellectual Freedom.
This BCLTA members event for trustees and library directors will take place at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel in Richmond which is located on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəyəm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Stó:lō and Səlílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
BCLTA thanks the BC Library Association for welcoming our event at the BC Libraries Conference venue. Their support allows BCLTA to keep the Forum registration fee at a reasonable cost of $150 for each participant.
Forum Keynote Speaker: Dr. Alvin M. Schrader
BCLTA is very pleased to announce Dr. Alvin M. Schrader as the keynote speaker for the 2020 Forum. Alvin is a well known and respected library leader and is currently professor emeritus with the School of Library and Information Studies at the University of Alberta where he taught for 27 years and an Adjunct Professor with the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services in the University’s Faculty of Education. Alvin has long been at the forefront of intellectual freedom research and discussions and recently wrote for the Centre for Free Expression at Ryerson University, “Can Public Libraries Maintain their Commitment to Intellectual Freedom in the Face of Outrage Over Unpopular Speakers?” Please read more about Dr. Alvin M. Schrader here.
- Morning refreshments will be available starting at 8:30am and the Forum will begin promptly at 9am
- The day will include:
- Presentations from public library trustees and library directors on their governance experiences with intellectual freedom
- Speakers from the legal and human rights community on freedom of expression and hate speech
- Round-table discussions and networking with trustees and library directors from across the province
- The development of a Forum report. See the 2019 Forum report, BC Public Libraries Summit Value and Investment Report
- Light refreshments and lunch
- The Forum agenda will be finalized and posted at the end of January
- Forum registration will open in early February
- The registration fee is $150 per participant
Members attending only the AGM portion of the day do not pay the Forum registration fee.
Check back as we add information as it becomes available. Updates will be found in the monthly Bulletin and registration for the Forum will open in February.
BCLTA 2020 Forum: Governance and Intellectual Freedom (outline and speakers coming in January!)
Trustee Awards Nomination Forms (January)