BCLTA In-Person Workshop are not being scheduled during the winter / spring of 2023. Check back later in the year for more workshop news!
BCLTA Core Governance Workshop
Workshop discussions are informed by and rooted in local needs and situations and participants can expect to discuss the following (and more) topics:
- The context in which public libraries are governed
- Roles and responsibilities
- Building trust-based relationships through accountability and transparency
- Effective meetings
- Strategic outcomes and oversight
- Policy development and oversight
- Financial oversight
- Relationship building and advocacy
- Board development and succession planning
Participants have told us that BCLTA workshops leave them feeling more confident in their governance work due to a strengthened understanding of:
- the unique value and impact that public libraries have in and on their communities
- the role of BC public library boards
- the importance of a trust-based governance team (trustees and the library director)
- the ways in which trustees and boards can make a difference to public libraries and the communities they serve
This is a full-day workshop for trustees and library directors.
- The workshops are available as is possible to schedule and to deliver
- The fee is $125 per participant
- A minimum of 12 participants is expected
Chairing and Leading: the mechanics and the art
- This is a four-hour workshop, developed and delivered by BCLTA staff for chairs, those interested in being chairs, and for trustees and library directors interested in better supporting the chair
- The fee is $75 and a minimum of 10 participants is ideal
Email Babs Kelly, BCLTA Director of Learning and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org with any workshop questions.
For BCLTA in-person workshops participants are expected to adhere to public health restrictions and to the health protocols of the venue provider. As well, we ask that participants be responsible and considerate in being aware of their health and well-being and the health and well-being of others when attending.
BCLTA learning and development is more than workshops!
BCLTA Governance Workbook (October 2021)
Subscribe to the BCLTA monthly Bulletin to stay up to date on BCLTA workshops and resources.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs.