Trustee Meet-ups are casual, fee-free, and just for trustees. Babs Kelly, BCLTA Director for Learning and Development hosts and moderates these sessions which are done through the BCLTA Zoom account. Each session begins with a brief presentation that is then followed by Q&As and open discussion.
- Fee free and just for BC public library trustees
- We use Zoom, but you do not need a Zoom account to join the session
- Sessions run from 45 to 60 minutes
- At this time there is no cap on the number that may attend
- All trustees are invited to send their suggestions for topics and their offers to lead a BCLTA Trustee Meet-up discussion to Babs Kelly at email@example.com
- Meet-ups take place every 4 to 6 weeks and are hosted and moderated by Babs at BCLTA
- To register email Babs at firstname.lastname@example.org
November 2020 – March 2021 Schedule
November 24, 7pm (Pacific Time). COVID-19, Where are We Now? Babs Kelly, BCLTA Director for Learning & Development, with special guest Mari Martin, Director of the Libraries Branch, will host a discussion with trustees from across the province on how they are governing during COVID-19 and their hopes and plans for 2021.
January 21, 2021, 6:30pm (Pacific Time). Who are our Stakeholders and Why are They Important? Anni Holtby (see more about Anni and her BCLTA hosted workshops here) will share a practical and interactive visual that helps Library Boards laser into who are their influencers and community stakeholders and why. Building on the BCLTA’s framework for building and maintaining relationships, this exercise helps us identify the various levels of focus for our advocacy practice.
February 15, 2021, 6:30pm (Pacific Time). Welcoming New Trustees: What are you doing? Babs Kelly will present tried and true practices and emerging trends to start a discussion on what boards are doing, or would like to do, to welcome new trustees to the governance team.
March (date TBC). Inclusive Public Library Governance. Felicia Zhu a trustee with the West Vancouver Memorial Library Board will start the Meet-up by posing questions about inclusive governance and the public library board.
To register in a Trustee Meet-up email Babs at email@example.com
Past Trustee Meet-ups
- Babs Kelly and Andrea Freeman, the Executive Director for the Association of BC Public Library Directors, led discussions on two different Saturdays on the board’s roles and responsibilities for library director support, evaluations, and compensations.
- Susan Koch, former Richmond Public Library trustee and BCLTA Director, and currently the COO & VP Accounting at Carbon Engineering Ltd. returned to BCLTA to offer her very popular overview of how to read public library financial reports.
- Andy Ackerman, Fort St. John Public Library Board Chair led a discussion on chairing Public Library Association (PLA) AGMs.
- Babs Kelly in explored the questions commonly brought to BCLTA where the answer tends to begins with “It all depends”. Due to popular demand this theme will be repeated every now and then.
- Mari Martin, the Director of the Libraries Branch at the BC Ministry of Education provided an overview of the provincial strategic plan for public library service, the mandate and work of the Libraries Branch, and how one-time funding (see the April news release) in 2020 will help British Columbians gain access to technology and digital resources through libraries.
- Andrea Freeman, the Executive Director of ABCPLD, provided an overview of ABCPLD and outlined the services that are available to library directors.
- The first Trustee Meet-up was with Kyla Epstein, BCLTA Governance Workshop facilitator and former Chair of Vancouver Public Library, who led a discussion on governance and power.