UBCM Public Libraries Basket Winner Tofino Councillor Thicke (centre) with Fraser Valley Regional Library CEO Scott Hargrove and BCLTA ED Babs Kelly.
BCLTA Trustee Advocacy and Influence Framework
The BCLTA Trustee Advocacy and Influence Framework is an update to the 2015 BCLTA Advocacy Toolkit. We kept what worked and expanded the information and suggestions to encompass the idea that some of the most important work you do as trustees is influencing and supporting other community leaders to champion the value of the public library.
Why a framework?
We have chosen to call this a framework because we know at BCLTA that each of you are working within a unique set of circumstances (geo-political, social, economic, library size, budget, library type and so on). A framework suggests ideas, approaches, and wise practices, that along with your knowledge of your community, your board, and your library, you can use for successful advocacy and influence.
As a trustee you have a responsibility to advocate and influence for your public library. BCLTA is committed to supporting you with this work, particularly with the upcoming 2018 municipal elections.
At this time, we are working with BCLC for a new website and our updates will be on hiatus until we are up and running, but we are still here in person. Email Babs Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how to best support you with this important work.
BC Public Library Statistics
Statistics are available through the Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education, website.
The following are selected provincial statistics, as provided by the Libraries Branch, from the 2016 Survey of BC Public Libraries.
71 Public Libraries, 247 locations, serving 99% of B.C.’s population
6.7 Million digital circulations in 2016 (16% increase over 2015)
61.6 million visits to libraries and their websites in 2016 (2.6% increase over 2015)
Total circulation of 59 million items in 2016
Record high number of over 73,000 programs available (8.6% increase over 2015)
Record high number of 1.7 million program attendees (8.0% increase over 2015)
Record high number of over 90,000 children registered in the 2016 Summer Reading Club Program
(6.7% increase over 2015)
Service improvements to the BC interlibrary loan program resulted in a 12% increase (107,381 to
120,386 items lent) between 2015 and 2016
Wireless Internet usage up 6.7% between 2015 and 2016
There are many advocacy and community engagement resources. The following is just a start as we work on updating the advocacy section of the BCLTA website. Send us your recommendations!
Canadian Federation of Library Associations / Fédération canadienne des associations de bibliothèques
We are the national voice of Canada’s library associations. Our purpose is to:
- advance library excellence in Canada;
- champion library values and the value of libraries; and
- influence national and international public policy impacting libraries and their communities.
Alberta Library Trustees Association
- Advocacy and Fundraising
Saskatchewan Library Trustees Association
Ontario Library Association
- OLA has a VIP approach to advocacy: help members demonstrate the Value of libraries, Influence decision making, and positively Position libraries, and the people who work for them.
- The Ontario Library Board Association is a division of OLA.
Library Advocacy Unshushed
Become a powerful advocate for the values and future of libraries and librarianship. Be informed, strategic, passionate, and unshushed.
- Free, archived EDx course.
American Library Association
- Advocacy, Legislation, and Issues
- Advocacy University
- Library Advocates Handbook
- Frontline Advocacy Toolkit
United for Libraries
- An Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (Division of ALA)
- Citizens-Save-Libraries Power Guide
- Advocacy and Ambassadorship
- Tools and training for collective impact, community engagement, collaborative leadership, and evaluation.
- B.C.'s local government information hub
Community Engagement Toolkit
- Social and Planning Research Council of B.C., 2013