UBCM Public Libraries Basket Winner Tofino Councillor Thicke (centre) with Fraser Valley Regional Library CEO Scott Hargrove and BCLTA Babs Kelly.
BCLTA Trustee Advocacy and Influence Framework
The BCLTA Trustee Advocacy and Influence Framework encompasses the idea that some of the most important work you do as trustees is influencing and supporting other community leaders to champion the value of the public library.
Why a framework?
We have chosen to call this a framework because we know at BCLTA that each of you are working within a unique set of circumstances (geo-political, social, economic, library size, budget, library type and so on). A framework suggests ideas, approaches, and wise practices, that along with your knowledge of your community, your board, and your library, you can use for successful advocacy and influence.
As a trustee you have a responsibility to advocate and influence for your public library. BCLTA is committed to supporting you with this work.
This list is just a start and will be better with your recommendations. Send recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org
B.C.’s Strategic Plan for Public Library Services (Ministry of Education, 2020)
We are the national voice of Canada’s library associations. Our purpose is to:
- advance library excellence in Canada;
- champion library values and the value of libraries; and
- influence national and international public policy impacting libraries and their communities.
Alberta Library Trustees Association
Saskatchewan Library Trustees Association
Ontario Library Association
- OLA has a VIP approach to advocacy: help members demonstrate the Value of libraries, Influence decision making, and positively Position libraries, and the people who work for them.
- The Ontario Library Board Association is a division of OLA.
Library Advocacy Unshushed
Become a powerful advocate for the values and future of libraries and librarianship. Be informed, strategic, passionate, and unshushed.
- Free, archived EDx course.
American Library Association
- Advocacy, Legislation, and Issues
- Advocacy University
- Library Advocates Handbook
- Frontline Advocacy Toolkit
United for Libraries
- An Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (Division of ALA)
- Citizens-Save-Libraries Power Guide
Board & Community Development
- B.C.’s local government information hub
- Social and Planning Research Council of B.C., 2013
- Tools and training for collective impact, community engagement, collaborative leadership, and evaluation.
- Advocacy: An Essential Practice for Mission Impact
- Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits by Leslie R. Crutchfield and Heather McLeod Grant.