The purpose of this activity is to prompt a discussion about the board’s role in oversight and assessment. Role clarity is critical to this discussion as it is board work to focus on strategic direction and outcomes and staff work to focus on execution and operational management.
Think of a service or program at your public library.
- What is the purpose of this service or program?
- Who uses it? Why? What difference does it make in their lives or to the broader community
- How is it aligned with your public library’s vision, mission, and values?
- What do you need to know for providing oversight and assessment of services and programs?
- What are you looking for in order to know if this program or service is supporting the outcomes of the library’s strategic plan?
- What are you looking for in order to know if this program or service is not supporting the outcomes of the library’s strategic plan?