This activity is for prompting discussion about supporting the work of the library director.
You may want to form small groups of two to three participants or you may choose to have the discussion as whole governance team.
The discussion is meant to be exploratory and to generate thinking about how a board, working with the board chair, can be an exemplary employer.
- What does your library director need from the board to be successful?
- What do you think would be an ideal working environment and organizational culture for a library director?
- How do you know this?
- How do you want the library director and staff to describe the working conditions and organizational culture of your public library?
- What are the roles and responsibilities of the library director to ensure or bring about those working conditions and that organizational culture?
- What can trustees do, working with the board chair, to ensure or bring about those working conditions and that organizational culture for the library director?